…but I’m a terrible blogger for not documenting my love affair with black spray paint this past weekend enough to do a DIY post. Oops. Bad blogger! I’ll do what I can.
I told you last about the furniture that I rented from Easy Home to stage the house. While they were able to provide me with most of what I needed, there were still some things lacking, i.e. a dining set. Since we don’t have a separate dining room in this house, I though it was super important to show that it is an eat-in kitchen, and to have a table that could seat at least 4. Easy Home only had one set that was wayyy to huge and bulky, and we have a set in storage that belonged to Jon’s mum, and while it is a very nice mahogany set, it is very large as well, and the style is more Victorian and fancy. Since we’ve gone more modern and clean in this house, it just wasn’t a good fit… in fact, it probably wouldn’t have fit at all.
So my mission was to find a small- scale dining set. I knew there was a perfect set at Ikea that I’d been eyeing for a while, but it was $149, and the 2nd part of this mission was cheap. So that meant to the trio I would go a-hunting. I measure the space in the kitchen I figured would be the most a dining set should take up, and off I went.
First stop was the Salvation Army. They had a small little wooden table, square and just very basic, with two upholstered chairs, similar to this, but blue:
However, they wanted $49 for the table, and $49 for the two chairs for $100 total for the set. For that price, considering the table was a little roughed up and I would probably need to paint it, and that the upholstery on the chairs was kind of a dusty blue velour and they weren’t quite the style i was looking for, I felt it was too expensive and passed- after all, it was my first stop.
Next stop was Goodwill. I went straight to the back where the furniture was, and this was the scene I encountered:
At first the round table caught my eye, but I quickly realized the rectangular one fit the bill almost perfectly. It had black metal legs with a wooden top. It can with 3 black metal chairs with geometric fabric seats, with bits of white, mint, yellow, brown and blush. The table had the right depth, and although the length was longer than I had originally been envisioning, I actually had the space to accommodate the length.
And it was $8. SOLD!
I marched right up to the cash, before looking around at anything else, and paid for the table so no one else could get their grubby hands on it.The girl at the cash gave me a big “Sold” sticker to put on it. I’ve learned the hard way that in these types of places, if you can’t stick it in your cart, pay for it right away so you don’t lose out. I continued to wander a bit and found a few things I’ll share in another post, but picked up a metal wall coat rack that was perfect for going by the front door. I’m terrible and didn’t take any ‘before’ pics so I apologize.
So I wrestled my treasure into the car and stopped at Home Depot to grab a can of spray paint. I used the Rustoleum Painters Touch in Flat Black. Spray painting really is the easiest thing; all I did was put down a drop cloth, give the table a once over with some medium sandpaper to even out any nicks and scratches, and had at ‘er with the spray paint:
The best method I found was to work in smaller sections, and to go slowly in a back- and-forth motion to make sure the surface was evenly covered. I only needed to paint the wooden top, as the legs were already a black metal. I gave any scratches on the legs a quick spray too. The quick coat of black cleaned it up nicely, and it looks great in the kitchen:
Since I had the spray paint going, I grabbed an old clock that I had never known what to do with, and gave it a coat as well:
The clock face was removable, so I didn’t need to tape it off. Previously it had been a bronze-y greenish colour and I had never really liked it – the black is a vast improvement over the bronze-y green:
Now the clock lives over the window in the kitchen- it fills the space perfectly, and is a great touch of decor int he kitchen:
I also sprayed the coat rack I had grabbed at Goodwill- I think it was $3.99. It was originally a creamy colour that had been roughed up to look rustic, but the colour didn’t work with the interior of the house It had a ceramic disc in the middle as well as two in the corners, so I taped them off with painters tape and sprayed away:
I hung the coat rack in the front hallway, and it’s a perfect spot to put your coat and shoes when you come in, as we don’t have a hall closet: